Established in 1991, Edith Cowan University (ECU) has rapidly grown into a quality university with excellent student satisfaction and internationally recognised research. Students and graduates at ECU are considered among the best in the world.
ECU is ranked in the world’s top universities under 50 years old. According to The Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching, the teaching quality is rated 5 stars for 2018 and has been for 11 years in a row by graduates.
“ECU is committed to providing excellent technological systems and services to both students, academic and non-academic staff. This includes delivering quality products for its internal and external customers, including staff and student facing applications, across a diverse range of products.
“Five years ago, we had limited performance testing capability for applications and we engaged Planit initially to provide this service. Subsequently, their test management services were used to assist our Data Centre Migration project.
“We have grown extensively as an educational institution and we recognised the need for broader services to be provided in the generic testing space. In July 2017, we went to tender and five companies applied.
“Based on their ability to meet our criteria, I, and the other members of the ECU evaluation panel, selected Planit. The selection criteria included:
- The ability to provide the services with the skills and capacity in technical and functional operations and performance
- To deliver and manage testing services
- Previous experience in the Higher Education sector
- Strategic service methodology
- Resourcing capability
- Staff development and training capability
- Communications and communication strategy
- Business continuity
- Ability to provide qualitative and quantitative evaluations
- Provision of value for money
- Scenario-based problem solving
- Execution of performance testing of apps, new software, in-house cloud, and 3rd party apps, and development of automated testing
Preferred testing partner
“We continue to have a good relationship and partnership with Planit. They bring their skilled people onsite and embed them into the team.
“With resourcing, we are able to ramp up and down according to the needs of any given project, which is great.
“We appreciate the way Planit transfers knowledge to us and to their own replacements as needed. This adds value and ensures continuity for us.
Planit successfully ensured:
- Our apps are rigorously performance tested so they don’t fail. They need to withstand a total of 20,000 concurrent users.
- Everything is as bug free as possible and performs as expected with software app testing.
- User requirements are met – Planit works with the business to understand user requirements by putting together test cases. We need to make sure systems are working well before we implement them.
Visibility of risks
“Planit’s quantifiable testing provides true data to show timing.
“When a user reported decreased performance after an upgrade, Planit designed and completed quantifiable testing to validate the timing issues. This showed increased performance in some areas and less in others.
“Planit’s responsiveness and provision of this objective data gave us specific areas to focus on and helps us save time and money as a result.
“We trust Planit’s validation and it enables us to have the confidence in our timely delivery. This enhances our own credibility and that of the individual schools, business units and university in general.
Customer experience enhancement
“ECU has a good name and reputation for teaching and learning across Australia. This is good feedback for IT since it is an integral part of teaching and learning.
“Over the years we’ve worked with Planit, our core systems are more stable as a result of their testing. Our 5-star rating result, and status as the number one public university in Australia, is a strong indicator that the quality of our products continue to increase along with our business growth.
Optimisation of app performance
“We rely on Planit’s test framework to ensure a holistic approach to all functional testing, providing assurance that apps function properly.
A worthwhile recommendation
“I recommended Planit to the University of Western Australia (UWA) and I understand they’ve taken them on.”
IT Services Centre PMO
Edith Cowan University
Joondalup, Western Australia